STOPS, MUSEUMS, TOURS:

Little Rock Central High School // Mississippi Boulevard Christian Church in Memphis // National Civil Rights Museum // Beale Street // University of Mississippi, Institute for Racial Reconciliation // Birmingham Civil Rights Institute // 16th St. Baptist Church // The King Center // Ebenezer Baptist Church // Southern Poverty Law Center // Dexter Ave. Baptist Church and Parsonage // Rosa Parks Museum // National Voting Rights Museum // Footprints to Freedom Tour // Medgar Evers Home and Museum // Mississippi Center for Justice // The Fannie Lou Hammer Institute on Citizenship and Democracy

Saturday, March 6, 2010

Little Rock- J.T. Snipes

Jam Bo World!

So it's day one we have had quite a long day. But it's been good though. The highlight of today was our journey to Little Rock, Ark. to visit the "Little Rock Nine" museum. It was very riveting for me personally because I actually didn't know that much about the occurrence regarding theses students in its entirety.

While touring the museum I was able to learn extensively about each individual that was involved in this trail blazing act. It was amazing to be able for their experience to become more vivid for me as I was able to explore the very campus that they stepped foot on that day.

One of the most interesting things to me about these individuals is the importance of education to them. They viewed it as almost sacred and that feeling was perpetuated within their families who were supporting them. It's encouraging and equally challenging in the same respect when I ponder the drive that each of the Little Rock Nine must have possessed to submit themselves to that experience to be able to clinch such a prestigious education at what was considered at the time the best high school in the state. Their willingness to defy the norms of education in this region was phenomenal. It gives me a new perspective on my education and challenges me to hold it with higher esteem and really cherish the opportunity I have.

I am looking forward to tomorrow as we will be touring some instrumental landmarks of the Civil Rights Movement in Memphis, Tn. I will say that one song that I was listening to today that kinda spoke to me was Ali In the Jungle by The Hours...check it out if you have some free time. Well I'm about to lay it down for the night. Until next time.

Goodnight World!

Nicholas Brown

No comments:

Post a Comment