STOPS, MUSEUMS, TOURS:

Little Rock Central High School // Mississippi Boulevard Christian Church in Memphis // National Civil Rights Museum // Beale Street // University of Mississippi, Institute for Racial Reconciliation // Birmingham Civil Rights Institute // 16th St. Baptist Church // The King Center // Ebenezer Baptist Church // Southern Poverty Law Center // Dexter Ave. Baptist Church and Parsonage // Rosa Parks Museum // National Voting Rights Museum // Footprints to Freedom Tour // Medgar Evers Home and Museum // Mississippi Center for Justice // The Fannie Lou Hammer Institute on Citizenship and Democracy

Monday, March 15, 2010

Last Day!!!! Kelley's group

Last Day!!!!!

I know I am a little late, but I wanted to take the time.... :)

"You never know what will have such a great effect on your life, that you will change it."
This was what stuck out to me when Dr. Leslie McLemore spoke to us at Jackson State University.
I guess that this tour has a greater effect on each of our lives than we can possibly imagine right now. I know that I find myself thinking more about this issue each day and trying to figure out how I can take part in this movement which is still going on today. Even though I am not even an American citizen and having grown up in Germany, I think I can make a difference. When we were in Selma and experienced what Africans had to go through on the Middle Passage, I started thinking about the history of my own country. It makes me feel sad how history seems to repeat itself over and over again. This tour made me more aware of the race issue and how it is still going on today. When the different countries could be learning from each other, why aren't they? One of my goals for my experience here in the United States of America was to leave with more knowledge about this issue. I am fortunate to live with three African Americans and to get a close insight of their culture. And now after taking part in this amazing trip, I feel like I also got an insight of their backgrounds and history. It seems like I am taking more home than I can carry. Thanks to all the amazing people I got to meet and to the great small group discussions, I think that I will be able to process what I learned and to find out how this is going to effect my life.
I hope that many more can participate in the Civil Rights Tour and be able to relive those historic moments of America's past. Civil Rights are still an issue today not only in America but all over the world. Every single person, wherever he or she might live, can change this fact and contribute to a better world.
It is difficult to bring all my thoughts and feelings together. I still feel so overwhelmed. But I also know that my life already changed.
I want to say thank you to Baylor and all the great people who made this trip possible.
And to all my new friends: You are all amazing people, I feel so blessed to be able to get to know y'all!
Conny Michaelis

No comments:

Post a Comment