STOPS, MUSEUMS, TOURS:

Little Rock Central High School // Mississippi Boulevard Christian Church in Memphis // National Civil Rights Museum // Beale Street // University of Mississippi, Institute for Racial Reconciliation // Birmingham Civil Rights Institute // 16th St. Baptist Church // The King Center // Ebenezer Baptist Church // Southern Poverty Law Center // Dexter Ave. Baptist Church and Parsonage // Rosa Parks Museum // National Voting Rights Museum // Footprints to Freedom Tour // Medgar Evers Home and Museum // Mississippi Center for Justice // The Fannie Lou Hammer Institute on Citizenship and Democracy

Saturday, March 13, 2010

Last Day of the Civil Rights tour..... what can I say??

Well first and foremost, I would like to express what a substantially great experience this trip has been. I feel that I have connected with my ancestors on an intimate level. I feel as though I can empathize and be pull to tears when thinking about all of the strife that African Americans have truly gone through. Surprisingly, my feelings of sorrow reinforce my the pride and joy of my heritage! Another aspect of this trip has been seeing the world through a pair of Caucasian eyes. I am so happy to have gone this trip with white people because their emotional responses make me smile. Because at the end of the day, we all realize the tragedy that happened throughout American history concerning African Americans. Therefore, we can all move forward with a mentality that strengthens all colors. Of course, not everyone is going to be as progressive as others; but it is our job to help everyone emerge out of ignorance and into enlightenment.

Okay aside from those things... today introduced a lot of injustices that are happening in today's society. I really enjoyed looking to today's issue so that we may get into a mindset that is geared toward changing today for the sake of tomorrow.

We also played a supah awesome game!! SHOUT OUT TO KATIE PICKEN!! Called CONTACT! That was fun!

I really have been changed by this trip and will never forget what I have learned!! I am so ready to continue the dream and the movement!!!

Freakin loved the trip.. cannot stress that enough and really feel everyone should go through this experience so that they may be aware of how far we have come in terms of diversity and how much further we need to go!!

Thanks Marianne and Amanda and all the group leaders.... ESPECIALLY BRANDI... for heading up this trip and doing a great job at facilitation!!

Peace out!!
Joe Guillory

No comments:

Post a Comment